I started the lesson today by setting on the tarmack for 40 min. while my instructor finished up with his previous lesson. I really didn't mind b/c it gave me a chance to self reflect on what might happen during the lesson. As I sat there I went over in my mind air speeds, radio calls, way points of the pattern, etc...
After starting the lesson and after we decided that today would be another day of "Pattern work", we debarked on what would be the most gratifying day of flying that I have every had.
After the first TO&LD Nate (my instructor) asked me if I brought my log book. "of course" I brought my log book, silly Nate. Then after a 2 more TO&LD's he asked if I completed my pre-solo written and medical. "Yes, yes I have"... At this point, he wasn't fooling anyone. I knew what he was preparing and evaluating within himself (solo time).
After another TO&LD, Nate asked what I thought. I knew what he was talking about, I quickly said "I don't know Nate". He replied "I think you're ready, but I won't push you if you don't think you are". I paused and remarked with about as much confidence as a mouse "OK".
From there we taxied to the fuel tanks and with a quick stroke of his pen in my log book, he was gone.
This is about 2 minutes from the point where my heart rate entered the critical category. I preformed my preflight procedures and made my way down the taxi-way. I waited for the 152 to depart that was in front of me and then made my radio call "West Bend traffic Cessna 800 departing from runway 06 closed traffic, West Bend."
As I pull out on the runway, I slowly increase my airspeed. As I approach 55Kias I realized that in a very VERY short time I will have committed to many things. In the span of about 20sec I had many thoughts blow through my mind; "oh my god" was just one of them.
After take off, things clicked like they have never clicked before. My first take off was spot on from my pov:); but i knew this didn't mean diddle squat it, it is the landing that i need to overcome.
4 more radio calls and 100% concentration on my airspeeds, I brought the airplane back to mother earth. I do not have a lot to say about the moment between taking off and the moment I touched down, i think this is partly due to it happening so fast and my brain being so occupied.
The moment I touched down though, I knew perfectly well what I had just done. It almost floored me with emotions of greatness. I could not believe that I just completed what I have been struggling with for so long.
This was completed with more and more confidence 2 more times. Each time a little different, but each time resulting in a safe landing!!!!!
I have not been put to a personal test like this since I can remember. If you are somebody who knows me, then you know that there have been Very few times in my life that I have not had confidence in what I am doing. Today on the other hand I required the support from Nate to nudge me past my comfort level, the support of my wife to pursue this dream, and the support from my mentor Steve-o to keep me plugging away. Today I have picked up the line that defined my boundaries and moved it farther away from comfortable and into interesting.
Dan

1 comment:
Congratulations on the solo! It's a feeling like no other. Things will really start moving for you now!
I've gotten back on the horse so to speak, but I've made a big switch! I've decided to finish my training out in Hartford. Only 1 instructor for me from now on! It's a longer drive, but it's worth it in my opinion. He's a great instructor. He requires spins in his trainings, but he's doing such a great job working up to it that I don't think it'll be an issue at all when I get there. I'm practicing maneuvers I've never done with the handful of instructors I had at West Bend. Overall I'm happy as a pig in mud with the switch. He's figuring I could complete my training and have my license by the end of May!
Congrats again! Onward and upward!
Chris
Post a Comment