Sunday, April 27, 2008

FLIGHT 12 "Solo II"


Today was my second solo flight and yes, it was just as exciting as the first; without 90% of the stress. With the jitters of the first solo off of my back, I was able to enjoy it a little more along with noticing how much different the plane handles without Nate (my instructor) inside.

Here is the track we flew today, you'll notice that 2 TO's/LD's were using runway 24 and the rest using 31. As we got into the flight, Nate suggested that we change runways due to the wind direction. AWOS said the wind was 270-05kts, but above the field they seemed more towards 280+. I learned 2 important lessons today about how to handle X-wind landings. You can probably tell by my track map that I need work on them. (Although it was getting much better by the end)

Nate and I discussed what is to come after today; basically after one more solo I will have the ability to fly within a 25mile radius of the airport. This will give me the ability to rent the plane and practice my maneuvers w/o the company of an instructor. Although Nate says we should still fly with each other on a regular basis to hammer out my cross country requirements.

I now have 17.1Hrs of total flight time & 1.2 of solo flight time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How's it been going? I see it's been a bit since your last flight. Weather the culprit or time? Or other (nameless) reasons? lol

I've got my solo short and long x-countries done, some more solo practice time in, some more time at ATC airports, and some practice one short/soft/x-wind TO's/Landings. I'm doing the written Thursday (That went up 10 bucks too!) and next week will start hammering out the mandatory 3 hours of check ride prep. Going good, hoping to finish up by the end of the month or very shortly after.

Now go get back in the air! :)

Chris