The flight started great, I took off and headed to lake michigan. Followed the shore line and hwy 57 north for a bit and decided to practice some ground refference manuvers. It was obviously a nice day out, I think everyone and their brother that had a pilots lic was up. COM1 sounded like a local radio station talk show. I even heard some casual conversations between pilots. I wanted to say "this hear's rubber ducky" "com'on back now".
Watching the GPS close to stay well away from my 25mi radius and other airports, I worked my way to the west. The local RC club that I used to belong to was going to have their air show the next day so I wanted to fly over head and see what was up. Nothing going on so I decided to head home.
On my way back I had troubles entering the pattern, the airport was so busy. There was a plane taking off for closed traffic as I wanted to enter so I went about it in a round about way. This round about way turned out to be the start of a shitty landing (attempt) followed by yet another shitty landing (attempt) followed by a 3rd, but final decent landing. The first time I was too high so I "went around". The second try I was too high, so I "went around". then the 3rd time was too high but I was able to drop enough altitude to make it work.
All of this was compounded by what seemed to be rush hour traffic on the Madison Beltway. Once on the ground I was kinda glad that it was over. I don't know if my head wasn't in the right place or that little over 2 weeks off just made me that rusty. Either way I have scheduled another flight with instructor Scott for Saturday. Hopefully we can practice entering the pattern.
All in all, it was a great flight. Having the freedom to go up and just tool around and practice at my own accord was really nice. Not being able to share the flight is a little downer, but it was still great.
No comments:
Post a Comment